Over 360,000 teens received their driver’s license in the month of August this year across the United States. Yeah, you read that right. In any given month, our nation’s roads and highways are flooded with brand new, inexperienced drivers. Couple that statistic with the growing number of distracted driving-related traffic accidents thanks to the digital devices that our kids can’t seem to live without and you can understand why the number one worry most parents have about their kids is unsupervised driving, according to a Chevrolet commissioned survey from Harris Poll.
The reason Chevrolet asked for this particular survey is because the company is made up of people with kids of their own. So, Chevrolet took the survey’s findings to heart and created a technology suite designed with your teenaged driver in mind.
Don’t let the name fool you. The Teen Driver package is filled with active and passive safety features designed to promote responsible driving habits for drivers of all ages. That said, these features are custom made for habitual driving issues that are statistically associated with teenaged drivers. Teen Driver supports driving safety habits like:
- Automatic Audio Mute – No front seat belts fastened? No radio or audio from connected devices.
- Preset Speed Violation Warnings – Got a teen with a lead foot? Set your child’s max speed and the car will audibly and visibly inform them every time they exceed it
- Radio Volume Preset – Does your teenager think they’re the neighborhood DJ? Limit the maximum volume of your vehicle’s radio
- Lane Departure Warning
- Front and Rear Park Assist
- Lane Keep Assist
- Side Blind Zone Alert
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Forward Collision Alert
- Forward Automatic Braking
- Rear Automatic Braking
- Front Pedestrian Braking
- Stability Control
- Traction Control
Not only does the Teen Driver package have these safety features, but it also has an in-vehicle report card feature that parents are sure to love:
- Distance Driven
- Maximum Speed Reached
- Overspeed Warnings Issued
- Stability Control Events
- Anti-lock Braking Events
- Traction Control Activations
- Wide-open Throttle Events
- Forward Collision Alerts, if equipped
- Forward Collision Braking Events, if equipped
- Tailgating Alerts, if equipped
Keep in mind, Teen Driver has variable features that will not be available in all vehicles but it will be available in 10 of its vehicles for the 2017 model year. Here is the current list of 2017 models that are eligible for the Teen Driver package:
So, if you’re in the market for a new 2017 Chevrolet AND you have a teenaged driver, the Teen Driver Technology Package is definitely something that will benefit you and your family. For more information on this or any of Chevrolet’s incredible safety features, contact us online or stop by our showroom and trade in your worries and stress for a safer driving experience for everyone in your family courtesy of Finnegan Chevrolet Buick GMC and Chevrolet.